Sunday, November 5, 2017

Catch Up

Hi all.  I knew I hadn't posted for a while, just not how long.  Well the summer went and I finished two baby quilts I had in my UFO's.  I have pictures somewhere and will post them soon.  I have also finished a quilt for my nephew's son.  Erik was here for a while last summer, visiting my sister and her husband (grandparents).  I found out he liked anything "space" and since I had two space themed tops in my UFO pile, I showed them to him.  He chose the "Space Windows" Quilt.  I got it finishsed in time to be delivered on or 1 day after his birthday.

I didn't have a good place to photograph the quilt but here it is.



For several years I collected space themed fabrics.  I put them together using the attic windows setting. Sort of like standing on a space station and looking out windows to other worlds.  I quilted around the features of each window. On the border, I used space ships, shooting stars, ringed planets and aliens, then added stars and swirls in free motion quilting. I used a space themed fabric for backing and added a flanged binding using the black border fabric and a grey to match the windows for the flange. The border is black, but shows up grey in the pictures.  I used a dark blue/purple thread for the border quilting





 My sewing machine is a standard size Janome.  It can sometimes be hard to squeeze a quilt under to get the needle where I want to stitch.  But I keep on trying.  







No comments:

Post a Comment